Linn Benton Doberman Rescue was established to provide an accountable and local service for the health and welfare of abandoned, abused, and neglected Doberman Pinschers and Doberman Mixes. By providing community outreach services and support, we hope to prevent acts of cruelty and abuse towards these dogs. We primarily serve Oregon's Dobes in need, but we also work with residents and dogs of Washington and Western Idaho.
A Community In Need
The Pacific Northwest has a very dedicated Doberman community, however, there is an ongoing need for a comprehensive Doberman Rescue coalition to serve the unmet needs of many lost,k lonely, and desperate dogs. With the problems in today's economy, we have never seen more Dobermans in trouble. As families find themselves struggling, it is all too often the innocent and voiceless who suffer the most. Humane Society and County shelters are already brimming, and with Dobermans being unfairly stigmatized as an aggressive breed, happy endings are rare. Without an accountable and comprehensive Doberman Resecue organization, many dogs will face arbitrary euthanization for no more reason than that their former families couldn't afford them anymore.
- Who we are: Linn Benton Doberman Rescue is an private all volunteer not for profit organization. We don't have large scale facilities like the Humane Society, but we do provide individual, person to person service.
- What we do: LBDR is first and foremost, an organization dedicated to the love of Dobermans. While we do take owner surrender animals, abandoned dogs, and death-row Dobes, our first goal is to ensure that no dog is abandoned in the first place. We offer crisis support to troubled Doberman owners, including help networking with dog trainers, assistance in spay and neutering, and assistance with medical emergencies. We also offer support to Doberman owners facing the ultimate hard choice, by providing a representative to accompany or handle the details of euthanasia. In those cases where surrender are inevitable, we try to ease the path for both people and the dogs. We assist in placement of abandoned or abused Dobermans, including medical support and basic obedience training.
- Why we do it: Linn Benton Doberman Rescue has been founded because there simply isn't enough support in the Pacific North-West for abandoned and special needs Dobermans. Many of Oregon's shelters have automatic kill policies on so called "aggressive" breeds, which sadly includes Dobermans. Further cause for LBDR comes from the fact that very few organizations will assist in the placement or crisis support of mixed breed Dobermans. Linn Benton Doberman Rescue is proud to support all Dobermans, regardless of breeding.
- Where we work: Currently, Linn Benton Doberman Rescue is centered in Linn County, Oregon. We don't have a central facility, instead of operating a kennel or shelter, we network dogs into foster families around the area. Our foster homes are screened carefully, and provide unparalleled support to both dogs and their potential new adoptive families. Learn more about fostering versus kennel-care shelters in our other pages.
- When we operate: We are open from Tues-Saturday 0900-1900, or 9:00am to 7:00pm. We check email almost every day of the week, and take emergency messages at any time. However, this is an all volunteer operation, so it may take us a few days to return your call or email.
- Our limitations: As much as we would love to be able to help every single Oregon Doberman in need, we are a small organization, and our funding is scarce. Due to this, we operate on a weighted need basis. For example, our ability to accept surrendered animals is limited by the number of foster homes we have available--so if at all possible, we work with you to ensure that you don't have to give up your beloved Doberman, or we can help you place the dog directly from your own home. Currently, we are mainly serving Linn and Benton Counties, however, we can make determinations to take in dogs and cases from all across Oregon, Southern Washington, and Western Idaho. We do not serve California, as there are several reputable Doberman rescues working there already.
- Our goals: We hope to gather enough volunteer support to make LBDR a force to be reckoned with in the health and welfare of Oregon's Doberman community. We strive to provide quality, compassionate assistance to all of our community, two legged as well as four legged. Visit our How to Help page for more information on how you can assist LBDR in our mission to help others.
- Our Ethics: We adhere strictly to the Doberman Pinscher Club of America Code of Ethics. You can read them here: DPCA Code of Ethics
Our Veterinary Care
All Linn Benton Doberman Rescue dogs are treated by Ark Animal Hospital, in Philomath, Oregon. We'd like to give a very big thank you to everybody over at Ark Animal Hospital. Our lives wouldn't be the same without such a wonderful, dedicated veterinary staff.
Ark Animal Hospital 1100 Applegate St Philomath, OR 97370 541 929-5061 Fax: 541 929-2452 firstname.lastname@example.org
(between the Library & the Post Office, next to Marys River Park)